Friday, May 7, 2010

Vessel of the Mother Goddess

When I first came to Vancouver Island, way back in 1983, I had the eerie feeling of being on a mission - something more than that of a mother seeking a place to raise her brood. I felt as though I'd been handed a mandate (from "mandalum" meaning "to command," based upon the Latin roots "manus" [hand] and "dare" [to give]; how much more literal could that be?) The mission seemed to indicate that I was to express the Divine Feminine and bring an awareness of the Feminine to those whom I would encounter on my journey.

Over the course of many years, I have been privileged to be able to participate in the founding of a Mystery School; to author and co-author two books and numerous articles; to teach classes in a variety of subjects; to birth a beautiful daughter; to co-own a restaurant and catering company - truly a celebration of the gifts of the Great Mother!

Yet the road stretches out before me still, and today as I contemplate whither this road may lead, I reach into the velvet pouch which holds my collection of Nancy Blair's "Amulets of the Goddess" seeking direction.

My hand pulls forth "The Primal Mother Goddess and Child - Infinite Love."

"The vessel as Mother Goddess is a fundamental concept in many traditional spiritual practices. The sacred earthen vessel is often presided over by priestesses. Among most primal peoples, women make pottery. Once made, a vessel's libations, ambrosias and unguents are administered by the wise women healers..." (Amulets of the Goddess, p. 87)

Meditations on motherhood - what could be more timely, these two days before Mother's Day? What is more "to the point" when considering a direction already so informed by the Divine Feminine?

Whether we think of Mother's Day as a "Hallmark event" or recognize it for what it is - yet another manifestation of a culture's recognition of each of its members' individual origins - we can begin again our appreciation of the Great Mother by appreciating our own, even if just for "the day."

If "Mother" was unknown, or the experience of Mother a conflicted and pain-inducing one, this is a good time to meditate on what the nurture of Mother would be like for us, in an ideal world. Treat yourself to a nice "vessel" (I bought two beautiful bowls last week!) and serve yourself lovely, nourishing meals in it. Take care of it as a symbol of how Mother would take care of you. (You might want to avoid blue bowls, as these suppress the appetite, unless that's something you're trying to do!)

Well, off to walk the dog before it rains....

No comments:

Post a Comment